All about Mrs. Burns

Teacher of second graders, mother to one, wife to a super cute guy, and lover of Jesus. Welcome to my teaching blog!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

School Year Resolutions


I am linking up with Teaching Maddness today to share my new school year resolutions. I figure if I write it down, then I'm more likely to do it! (If my mom is reading this she is going to laugh...and laugh really, really loud)
So, we begin.....


1.  Get Organized.ha. I laugh as I type it. My best friend is my assistant principal. She calls me a "piler." Piles of papers everywhere. But I know what's in every pile and can pull it out in a nanosecond. Before she was an AP, she was a special education teacher, and spent and entire year in my class with her inclusion children. She hated my piles. But she is still my bestie, so I guess she got over it. I promised myself last year this same thing, no piles, but oh well. It happened. My name is Nikki and I like to pile. I don't want to be that girl anymore. I am working really hard on that right now in my room. Even with my fabulous room moms, they still find piles. They laugh, then file them for me!


2. Say Not Now. I am bad about this. I wear many hats. I like to help. But sometimes, I forget that first and foremost I am a teacher. I will answer tech questions during my reading time. Help the jammed copier. I've got to learn to tell them I can do it later. After school maybe. I don't want to just say no, because I'm a team player, but lord, I gotta get my work done!


3. Take a ton more pictures. I want to capture our day, our fun graphic organizers, and our amazing technology. I want to blog more, and keep up with our school website. I can do this!

4. Shed some pounds. Does this even count in teaching? I hope so, cuz I'm adding it to the list! No school lunches for me (healthy-ha!) Going back to my Visalus shakes for breakfast and lunch.


So there is my list. It's down on paper and I will succeed.
I feel like I need a Common Core "I Can" statement to follow these resolutions!

4 comments:

  1. The "I can" list is a great idea. May have to do that. I could have added the "not now," to my list. That is a good one.

    Good luck. Here's to making it happen.

    A new follower.

    Sara from Kinderaffe2ndgraders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to get better at keeping up with documenting the year with pictures, movies and podcasts! I'm stealing your words..."I CAN DO THIS"! I just found your blog on the New {School} Year Resolution Linky Party, and look forward to follow you! I am your newest follower!

    Julie
    http://msshopesclass.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up, Nikki! I also need to work on the "not now"...it's so hard to tell others that though! I'm your newest follower! :)

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to do some of these same things, girl!

    ReplyDelete